Sunday, September 12, 2010

End of Summer Mom


We have officially reached the end of summer. With the temperatures cooling down (to the mid 90s) and the start of school, the summer - as we know it - has finally come to a close.

As school started a few weeks ago, I was impressed by all the wonderful moms that lamented over the loss of their children as they went back to school. Many were sad to see them go, upset that they couldn't spend just a few more days with their precious angels.

And then there was me.....

I was the mom, standing on the sideline in my cheerleader outfit and pom-poms (pre four children body, of course) cheering for the end of summer. "Come on Summer! You can do it! End this!"

I don't mean to be harsh. I love my children and I do enjoy a good summer. But by the end, we are all ready to move on. After I have exhausted my efforts in keeping my children entertained, they are ready for another adult to take on the responsibility....they are ready for a teacher.

So...while I do lament the loss of swimming and sleeping in, I also rejoice in the knowledge that my children are exactly where they need to be. They are crafting, reading, writing, running, and socializing under the supervision of some amazing teachers.





And I still get the evenings.....


4 comments:

Elliott Phillips said...

Wait - you have a Cheerleader outfit?

Bench Family said...

very, very, very well said! :)

Stephanie said...

only for role play thursdays elliott.
cami- is brook in pre school? where at?

Olsen Family said...

I love it when my kids go back to school too. I've often wondered if it means I'm a boring mom if my kids are excited to go back to school. Glad you guys are doing well!