Sunday, April 17, 2011

Bluebonnet Pictures

As Texas tradition mandates, everyone must have annual Bluebonnet pictures. This state flower of Texas only appears in the springtime, and after about 3 weeks the colors begin to fade and soon the flowers are gone until the following year.

As soon as the flowers came out, Elliott started asking me, "Have you taken the Bluebonnet pictures yet?"

I don't think he wanted a repeat of last year - where I was parked on the side of the freeway trying to get pictures in the smallest batch of flowers because I'd waited too long and there were no others.

So - I tried to find an open day to take the pictures. But, due to baseball...and softball...and ballet...and cub scouts...and church...and trips to Idaho...and rainy days...and too sunny days we just never seemed to find a time. Finally, last Sunday after church, I stopped at a home in our neighborhood where the yard is full of bluebonnets. I knocked on the door and no one answered - so I took that as permission to use their lawn to take pictures.

I herded the kiddos out of the car. Leah was really trying to fall asleep, and I was desperately trying to keep her awake.

We started with William - maybe if Leah saw the other kids taking pictures, she would want to as well.




We got a couple good ones, and by now Leah acted like maybe she would cooperate. So, I found a nice little brick for her to sit on and I started taking pictures.


She obviously wasn't interested in pictures - she was all about the flowers. I know when I'm defeated, so I decided to move on to Brooke.



True to form, Brooke would smile her sweetest smile...and then look to the side. Somehow, I managed to capture a few pictures where she was looking at me.

Aubrey was next.




Aubrey was great - she's always loved taking pictures. She smiled and sat still...it probably helps that she's 10. But, at this point Leah was running in the road, so I had to act quickly.

I huddled everyone together for a group shot, and this is what I got:




The sun was shining in everyone's eyes, the wind was blowing, Leah was picking flowers and screaming....like I said, I know when I'm defeated.

So, we loaded back up in the car and headed home. I guess there won't be a group picture this year.

Oh well....there's always next year!





2 comments:

Stephanie said...

The group picture is my favorite! Hahaha it shows what real life is like. And your kids are looking so grown up, it makes me a little sad. :)

Tuesdee said...

I think you did a great job!!! 4 kids, flowers and sun... That's usually a recipe for disaster but you captured a memory!! :)